This healthy beetroot salad with spinach, egg and capers mayonnaise dressing is definitely one of my favorite salads. The combination of beetroot with a creamy capers mayonnaise is just so good. Actually you can also use the capers mayonnaise in a sandwich, its really great or you can even mix it together with some potatoes and lots of dill and then you have the best potato salad!
I often eat this healthy beetroot salad for lunch or sometimes even for dinner and I always add a extra few things every time I make it. I’ve done a version with goat cheese instead of eggs and one where I added some slices of smoked salmon and then I’ve made one with pearl barley, which was also quite good! I’ve topped the salad with some lightly toasted pumpkin seeds, but you can also use toasted sunflower seeds or even chopped almonds.
Beetroot Salad with Spinach, Egg and Capers Mayonnaise Dressing
- 3.5 oz. spinach
- 4 medium beets
- 2 eggs
- 2 heaping tbsp. good mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tbsp. capers (coarsely chopped)
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- freshly ground pepper
- wholegrain bread
- Boil the beets until tender for approx. 45 minutes to an hour. Put the pot under the tap and rinse the beets with cold water, then it is super easy to peel off the skin. Cut the beets into quarters and set aside. Boil the eggs 8 minutes, let cool and peel
- Hint: it is easier to peel the shell off eggs under running water.
- Cut the eggs into quarters and set aside. Wash the spinach and dry thoroughly. Mix the mayonnaise with capers and freshly ground pepper. Layer salad on a plate as follows; spinach, beets, eggs and dollops of mayonnaise dressing. Finish off with roasted pumpkin seeds and extra capers. Serve the healthy beet root salad with whole grain bread (optional). Yield 2 servings